TaskPaper 3.9 – Oct 24, 2022
- New for macOS Ventura
- Added ability to style based on item’s
- Added branch move commands (Option to see in Item menu)
- Updated instructions in user’s guide for debugging scripts
- Fixed crash when failing to decode utf8 TaskPaper document
- Improved select existing tab behavior when selecting item in sidebar
With the styling addition you can now invent your own mini syntaxes in TaskPaper. For example the following style rule makes it so that any item that starts with
>> will have red text:
TaskPaper 3.8.17 – Feb 15, 2022
- Added Window > Float on Top menu option
- Fixed email highlighter to recognize longer extensions such as
- Fixed disable multiple range text selection since it’s not supported by TaskPaper’s model.
TaskPaper 3.8.16 – Mar 18, 2021
- Added support for clickable relative “~/” file paths
- Fixed clickable file paths that contain non ascii characters
- Fixed cases where Copy Link wasn’t working correctly (some path syntaxes)
- Fixed cases where Open/Copy Link was showing in context menu when it shouldn’t (tags, leading dash in task)
- Fixed “Export Reminders” to always show list picker when no default list is set in Reminders.app
- Fixed AppleScript read/write access to document’s “textContent”
TaskPaper 3.8.15 – Feb 9, 2021
- Fixed search bar layout bug when hiding/showing window tab bar
TaskPaper 3.8.13 – Dec 15, 2020
- Updated icon for macOS Big Sur
TaskPaper 3.8.12 – Nov 12, 2020
- Updated for macOS Big Sur
- Universal Binary for Apple Silicon
- Disable “Copy Displayed” when selection is empty
- Added “poof” animation for menu Item > Delete Items
- Select existing tab (if exists) when selected item in sidebar
- Command click file link to reveal the file in Finder instead of open
- Changed format to ignore seldom used task start chars + and *.
- Fixed indentation of Home item in Sidebar
- Fixed user guide links
TaskPaper 3.8.10 – Feb 13, 2020
- Fixed crash on start that was effecting some users
- Changed to standard drag and drop behavior unless dragging items
TaskPaper 3.8.8 – Feb 8, 2020
- Fixed Tag > Remove Tags command
- Fixed Tag > Tag With… to not include values
- Fixed Edit > Insert Date “now” to use minutes instead of milliseconds resolution
- Added TaskPaper preference allowing sidebar size to follow System Preferences > General > Sidebar Icon Size setting
TaskPaper 3.8.6 – Jun 13, 2019
- Fixed sidebar to display tag value lists such as @priority(1, 2, 3)
- Fixed crash when tag name matched another tag-value name. For example @a(a) and @a-a
TaskPaper 3.8.5 – May 5, 2019
- TaskPaper is now notarized by Apple to increase security
- Fixed tab titles to include focused project name (requres macOS 10.13 or later)
- Updated to Swift 5
TaskPaper 3.8.4 – Feb 5, 2019
- Tag values in sidebar are ordered by name
- Replace all is now stored under single undo grouping
- Should no longer be asked for keychain password when updating
TaskPaper 3.8.3 – Jan 9, 2019
- Fixed incorrect search when selecting tag value in sidebar
- Fixed invalid searches when clicking on tag values that include search syntax by quoting all values
TaskPaper 3.8.2 – Nov 15, 2018
- Updated licensing framework
- Fixed crash that could happen when archiving items
- Fixed bug where some stylesheet attributes were not applied to editor
- Fixed performance bug the caused long delay when using accessibly API in long documents
- Fixed case where empty line leading tab indentation was lost when document saved and reloaded
TaskPaper 3.8.1 – Oct 1, 2018
- Fix bug where it wasn’t possible to drag file links into TaskPaper document.
TaskPaper 3.8 – Sep 19, 2018
- Added support for macOS Mojave
- Added option to “Import Reminder Copies”
- Added dark mode support to TaskPaper stylesheets
- Fixed sorting of Window > Stylesheet list
- Fixed text blurriness that could occur when focus-in and focus-out
- Fixed bug where option-click on item handle would focus wrong item
TaskPaper 3.7.7 – Jul 1, 2018
- Added View > Show Sidebar And Expand Completely
- Fixes print margins to be smaller
- Fixes “sentence” command spelling
- Fixes crash that could occur when using
ancestor-or-self:: in search
- Fixes undo bug where undoing moves might put items at wrong indentation
TaskPaper 3.7.6 – Nov 21, 2017
- Adds support for tag value lists.
TaskPaper allows you to create tags by typing
@ followed by a tag name. You can also include an optional value after the tag like this: @mytag(my value).
The new feature is that TaskPaper now understands lists of comma separated values. For example you can now type @job(jack,jane) and TaskPaper understands that there’s a list of values associated with the tag. When you click on “jack” your lists will be filtered to show all tasks where “jack” is listed on the job.
TaskPaper 3.7.5 – Nov 10, 2017
- Added warning that imported reminders are removed from Reminders.app
- Added warning when trying to work with Reminders.app without access granted
- Fixed keyboard focus problem when closing searchbar
- Fixed problems styling and updating searchbar
TaskPaper 3.7.4 – Aug 14, 2017
- Added TaskPaper > Recover License to direct download version
- Fixes crash that could occure when placing cursor in empty line
TaskPaper 3.7.3 – Jun 8, 2017
- Fixes copying of last item in a filtered view
- Fixes comparing against empty string (“”) in search syntax
TaskPaper 3.7.2 – May 11, 2017
- Fixes crash that could happen when opening new documents.
TaskPaper 3.7.1 – Apr 28, 2017
- Fixes a auto-save bug where changes in last line of text might not save.
TaskPaper 3.7 – Apr 27, 2017
TaskPaper 3.7 improves how filtered items work in two ways:
- Filtered items are now selected only when a visible ancestor item is also selected.
- It’s now easier to see when you’ve selected filtered items so you don’t accidentally delete them.
Also this release:
- Remembers and restores which outline items are expanded in sidebar
- Fixed crash when pasting text that contained non “\n” newline characters
- Fixed crash when option (to create copy) dragging items from one document to another
TaskPaper 3.6.2 – Jan 23, 2017
- Item > Move to Project no longer moves the selection along with the moved project
- When moving items in a filtered view don’t reveal hidden items when performing the move
- Fixed Pasting page break character no longer crashes TaskPaper
- Fixed Clicking file links in Mac App Store version new reveals files in Finder
- Fixed Edit > Selection > Select Sentence to not select the trailing newline after the sentence
- Fixed unwanted scrolling that could occur when (Shift-Tab) moving items to the left
- Fixed no longer autocomplete when inserting
@ within existing words
TaskPaper 3.6.1 – Jan 18, 2017
- Better detection (and distinction) between click and drag on item handles
- Changed to only show projects in sidebar when all ancestors items are also projects
- Changed DateTime formatting term “week” to refer to ISO week (starts on Monday instead of Sunday)
- Fixed Tag > Tag With to only add leading space before added tag when needed
- Fixed broken File > Revert To > Browse All Versions views
- Fixed poor performance on new MacBooks with Touch Bar
- Fixed crash when importing reminders with newlines in titles
- Fixed crash when loading malformed stylesheet
TaskPaper 3.6 – Nov 15, 2016
Reminders: Quickly import items from (or export to) Reminders.app. Create reminders on the go with Siri then move them into TaskPaper at your Mac. Or export TaskPaper items to Reminders on your Phone.
Palettes: Create new items or select multiple items from the standard palette UI. Use Edit > Tag With… to apply multiple tags at once. Use Item > Move to Project… to both create a new project and move items to it in a single step.
- Added Edit > Insert Date…
- Added File > Import Reminders… to import from Reminders.app
- Added Item > Export to Reminders… to export items to Reminders.app
- Tag > Tag With… prompts for date when tagging with @due and @start
- Edit > Find commands now work when sidebar has focus, redirecting focus to editor
- Removed category text for each command when showing command palette
- Maintain focus item and search when open TaskPaper file is modified by another app
- Removed unused font, color, orientation items from editor context menu
- Fixed iCloud Drive to include TaskPaper folder
- Fixed Refresh of “Hoisted” item search works correctly
- Fixed Date parsing to support ISO week and day formats like 2016-W51-4
top-padding-percent stylesheet attribute
- Fixed scrollbar jumping in cases involving wrapped lines
- Fixed search case where
except caused problems
- Fixed problem in palettes where filtering could place items in wrong group
TaskPaper 3.5.1 – Oct 13, 2016
- Fixed Bug in 2-Set Korean input method
- Fixed Crash when editing stylesheet in VIM
- Fixed Crash when archiving first visible item
- Fixed Add checkmark to View > Show Sidebar when it’s visible
- Fixed Item > Move to Project to insert item at start of project’s items
TaskPaper 3.5 – Oct 11, 2016
Due to changes in TaskPaper’s bundle identifier TaskPaper 3.5 cannot auto-update itself. You will need to download again directly from using the following link. This is a free update, just re-enter your existing license key if prompted.
- New Icon, thanks @sdw!
- New Code, rewrote native layer in Swift 3
- New Requirements, now requires OS X 10.11 or later
- Added Projects, Searches, and Tags sections
- Ability to Show/Hide sidebar sections
- Ability to Expand/Collapse Individual Projects
- Double-click on project in sidebar to “hoist”, show only it’s descendants
- Tags configuration file, allowing you to choose tags shown/hidden in the sidebar
- Searches configuration file, allowing you to choose searches shown in the sidebar
- Context menu (and main menu) items for creating, editing, and deleting saved searches
- Saved searches may be embedded in current document, or saved separately
- Larger, can more easily display complex searches
- Only shows when active (preference to change this behavior)
- Attention getting, you should never miss the fact that a search is active (changeable in stylesheet)
- Much faster search results in large documents with complex search logic
- New Palettes UI, faster keyboard navigation
- Replaced “Go to” popup menu’s with new palette UI
- Added “Go to Anything” Palette
- Added “Command palette” with ability to add your own script commands
- Changed keyboard shortcuts so all palettes use a form of Command-P
- Ability to open multiple windows (or tabs on macOS 10.12) on a single document
- Added “Open in New Window” popup item for sidebar items
- Added “Open in New Tab” popup item for sidebar items (macOS 10.12)
- Reorganized menu items to better fit macOS 10.12’s “Show Tab Bar” item
- Ability to switch between stylesheets
- Each window can now have a different (Window > Style) style
- Printing panel has it’s own separate stylesheet setting
display span stylesheet attribute to
- New options including text wrap and typewriter scrolling (see user’s guide for details)
- Added Allow delete backward to un-indent items preference
- Added Preference to maintain search when select project changes
- Added Preference to maintain project when select search changes in sidebar
- Added scripting API to get all OutlineEditors associated with a given outline
- Removed “New Document” preferences (spelling, etc), those settings now apply to all documents
- Changed direct download bundle ID to avoid conflicts with app store version
- Direct download version recognizes App Store licenses (must run App Store version once first)
- Improved folded state persistence in documents that are edited outside TaskPaper
- Improved Drawing of split cursor text insertion point
- Changed default font to system reported “user font”
- Fixed file and icon associations
TaskPaper 3.3.2 – Jul 11, 2016
- Updated to work on macOS Sierra Beta
- Disabled dragging the root item from the sidebar
- Disabled dragging items into the outline view when it is empty
- Fixed error when dragging into the sidebar when outline view is empty
The release frequency has slowed as I’ve taken a step back to work on some larger changes.
Second, I’m now in the process of updating the user interface code to use Apple’s new Swift programming language. This will put TaskPaper on a better foundation to keep up with whatever changes Apple brings in the future. It’s also giving/forcing me to look through every line of code and fix all the dumb stuff that I did! I’m still a ways from done, but I’m making good progress.
Open Source Model Layer:
TaskPaper 3.3.1 – May 25, 2016
- Clicking on task dash (to toggle @done) no longer scrolls to selected text
TaskPaper 3.3 – May 19, 2016
Added Expand/Collapse Commands:
- Added View > Expand Items
- Added View > Collapse Items
- Added View > Expand All By Level
- Added View > Collapse All By Level
Hold down “Option” key for a “Completely” variant of each item.
Removed Redundant Commands:
- Removed View > Fold
- Removed Items > Indent
- Removed Items > Un-Indent
Please use the explicit Expand/Collapse commands for folding. Use “Tab” and “Shift-Tab” instead of the Indent and Un-Indent menu items. I think any short term pain this causes will make TaskPaper a more nimble and focused app long term.
Improved Item Movement in Filtered Views:
- Moving items should never “capture” hidden items as children.
- No additional items should appear on screen when moving items.
Added New ”filtered” Item Handle State:
This state joins the existing “Expanded” and “Collapsed” states. Filtered state indicates that some children are visible and others are filtered out of the display. Click a filtered handle to expand it to show all children.
- Expanded – Dim empty circle
- Collapsed – Bright filed circle
- Filtered – Dim filled circle
- Improved alert messaging when opening invalid file links.
- Fixed leading spaces from being removed from pasted text.
- Fixed periodic broken “Tag With…” toolbar popup menu state.
- Fix crash when inserting new item into empty document.
- Maintain full line selection when move item to end of list.
filtered item attribute for themes to query.
handle-size item style property.
handle-border-color item style property.
handle-border-width item style property.
TaskPaper 3.2.1 – May 6, 2016
- Editor better maintains current scroll position when editing.
- Pasting into end of focused project now inserts items correctly.
- “Share Item” in toolbar is fixed to share the the selected text.
- Don’t scroll to selection when performing drag and drop operations.
- Include “More…” option in toolbar “Share Item” popup menu.
- Fixed how leading spaces are converted into item indent levels.
- Preview badge now includes version number and isn’t shown in notification style.
- Archive Done command now includes all containing projects in
- Use “TaskPaper Generic” file type to save without
.taskpaper file extension.
- Fixed problem where text caret would display in wrong position or not at all.
- Search field text on OS X 10.10 no longer remains centered after clicking tag.
- Return only autocompletes to formatted tasks when current line starts with
- Delete last item then followed by Undo and then Redo no longer causes crash.
- Selection now draws correctly behind paragraph break invisible characters.
- Edit > Copy Displayed (Option-Command-C) works when last item is fully selected.
TaskPaper 3.2 – Apr 22, 2016
- Added header and footer printing options to print panel.
- Track expanded/collapsed state in extended file attribute.
- Edit > Copy Displayed (Option-Command-C) for only displayed items.
- Added right margin padding to balance default left margin padding.
- Escape in empty toolbar search field shows recent searches menu.
- Control-Tab and Shift-Control-Tab now move focus of toolbar search field.
ShowPreviewBadge defaults key to hide “Prev” badge in TaskPaper’s preview version.
- Tag autocompletions are now case insensitive.
- Tag autocompletions only popup when editing at end of tag.
- Move “Saved Searches” to top of toolbar search field popup.
- Require that both
) be escaped with
\ when used in tag values.
- Apply tag and similar commands only effect displayed items, not collapsed or filtered.
- Hidden items with no visible ancestor are no longer effected by edits.
- It’s now possible to fully select the last displayed item, so you can cut/copy its collapsed items.
- Changed script debug process, see user guide “Creating Scripts” section.
- Renamed theme ‘display’ text style attribute to ‘content’.
- Items > Format As to work when item is a project with trailing tags.
- Document name (instead of always “Untitled”) now displays in printed header.
- Guide lines now draw for items with hidden parents but visible ancestors.
- Escape in toolbar search field clears text without losing focus.
TaskPaper 3.1 – Apr 1, 2016
- Added TaskPaper > Show License menu item.
- Added Help > Email, FAQ and Release Notes items.
- Added Hold down shift to drop items “on” other items.
- Added Drag and drop projects in sidebar to reorder.
- Added Saved searches to search field Recents menu.
- Added Drop text, URLs, etc into sidebar.
- Changed “Move to Project” to add at top of list.
- Changed Drop on sidebar to add at top of list.
- Changed Default theme to hide handles of empty items.
- Changed Use document filename as label instead of “Home”.
- Changed Don’t show saved search when search text is empty.
- Changed Command-L (Go to Project…) to always use popup. Use Control-Shift-Tab for sidebar.
- Changed Option-click on item handle now focuses item instead of only its children.
- Changed Don’t show @ before tag names in menu items, so type to select works better.
- Fixed (another) incorrect selection when using Option-Return.
- Fixed Do nothing when drag and drop item to original location.
- Fixed projects popup to removing trailing tags.
- Fixed Strip trailing tags and : from Archive Done project name.
- Fixed Printing to always print same view that you see (even when searching).
depth item attribute for themes to query:
paragraph-spacing-before item style property.
paragraph-spacing-after item style property.
guide-line-width editor style property.
item-handle-size editor style property.
Theme Additions Demo:
TaskPaper 3.0.1 – Mar 23, 2016
- Fixed Click on Home in the sidebar will now clear any active searches.
- Fixed Delete will now scroll text caret to visible if it’s not already visible.
- Fixed Incorrect text caret position when using Option-Return to create a new item.
- Fixed Better maintain scroll position when editing the outline.
- Fixed Crash when reloading a theme soon after closing a document.
- Fixed Crash when loading a theme with syntax errors.
- Fixed Single pixel wide sidebar on OS X 10.10.
TaskPaper 3 – Mar 16, 2016
- All new modernized app
- Flexible and unique folding UI
- More powerful outliner and text editor
- Saved searches; one click away in sidebar
- Relative date and time based searches
- More powerful hierarchical searches
- LESS/CSS powered themes
Download old and unsupported versions of TaskPaper.